Sunday, July 24, 2011

Screw the tiaras! How about Toddlers and Jujutsu?

Tony here.


It's been a few days since the ultrasound, and it's hard to express how much things have changed.

Knowing Zoey is coming brings both intense joy, and immense trepidation.

The joy is the bricks and mortar of our family slowly coming together; all of the players, all of their roles. If you had told me 2 years ago all these amazing people were coming into my life, that Zoey would transit from being a concept, to being a reality; prayers having answers, life taking form. Halloween, Xmas, birthdays, soon to be a reality.

The journey of moments has been indescribable. The moment in the attorney's office when he told me we could be parents. The tests. The attempts. The joy of finding we were pregnant. There's too many to describe here.

The trepidation comes from raising a girl. Number one, how do I keep this little one from running away with my heart, and my wallet? Am I going to be able to enforce "Time-Outs" when this little girl has me wrapped around her finger. The boo-boo face when I know she's full on trying to manipulate me. I've never even thrown a tea party!

Mike and I are both "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" fans. Between the two of us, from opposite sides of the spectrum, I think she'll actually be something like Buffy, a Force of Nature, introspective, fierce, vulnerable, and "on point". It's selfish, but without being deliberate, I am already building those "lists". The things I don't want her to do, the things I don't want her to be, to GOD PLEASE DON'T MAKE MY SAME MISTAKES. But she'll be intelligent, headstrong, independent, curious, and want to explore the world with wonder. Our influences on this girl will be both interesting and hilarious.

I looked online for the "Papa and Me" Hanbo Jutsu classes. This is a martial-arts style using short staffs to smack people up. A project in progress I guess. Maybe a toddler can benefit from jujutsu and tai jutsu on their first day of school? Zoey's not even born yet and I'm already leading the pimple-cream-smeared-haircut-I-hate-girl-crazy-teenage-freak-boy down the driveway past the elaborate defensive system I left turned off accidently that day.....

I need to stay right in this moment. The right now. I need to feel the almost indiscernible hum of all of us coming together, preparing for this angel to enter our lives. I can set down the Tazer Junior and martial arts brochures for now, and look out on the yard where out little girl will romp, play, and have adventures. I will teach her everything I know and more.....


6 comments:

  1. Don't forget...you've not only got to learn and teach self defense, but also how to paint pretty pink toes and french braid her hair. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for you. She will be here before you know it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shutter to think of what my house will be like in 12 or 13 years with 3 girls. For now, I'm taking lots of embarrassing photos to show to those would-be suitors! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen Heidi! I think he's hoping to leave that part up to me... little does he know. LOL. I cant wait Kelly! Edward, yeah... good luck with that. HEE HEE

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it's any comfort, Mike and I fully intend to enroll our daughters in some form of Martial arts when they are old enough. We will make sure the girls can kick the ass of any moron who tries to mistreat them or even thinks of harming them in some way.

    The world is a scary place now days. Perhaps we are being paranoid, but so be it. I want our girls to be prepared to deal with anything that comes their way, mentally and physically.

    Mike A.

    ReplyDelete