Thursday, December 8, 2011

She literally swam into our hearts...

Zoey’s entrance into the world was by far the best and most important day of our lives.  We had been on edge for the week leading up to her birthday, so when Megan let us know late Saturday night that she was having contractions we were excited, but decided to get some rest.  2 hours later our phone started ringing and I jumped up.  Megan in a very calm voice said “Yeah we should head in”.  Tony and I raced to pick her up.  As I helped Megan into the car I was hit by the first wave of emotion, this totally unexpected moment where I realized that I was about to meet my daughter. 
I was thrown off by how far she really was into it because between contractions Megan was laughing and telling jokes.  As soon as we got to the Birthing Inn Megan got into the birth tub.  Our AMAZING midwife Amy was oozing out calm and serenity, and I am pretty sure this is ALL that kept Tony and I sane.  I kept looking at Megan in the tub and thought to myself “OH MY GOD!  This is actually happening!  In moments I will be a father.” 

From there time sped up, Megan was like a SUPER HERO!  I have to admit that when the baby started to make her entrance I did not even know what was going on, because Megan’s head never spun around, she never spit split pea soup out of her mouth, nor did she cuss or punch  either one of us (even though I totally volunteered Tony!!!  So when Zoey came swimming into the world I turned to Tony and said “Wait!  Is this happening RIGHT now?”  I hadn’t even called our parents yet.

As Amy placed Zoey on Megan’s chest I heard Megan say, with pure love in her voice “That’s your daughter!  Mike Tony, there she is!”  And as I saw her face for the first time my heart almost hurt with the love I felt.  People try and tell you about the love o f a parent.  They try and prepare you, but nothing prepared me for that moment.  Had I not already been on my knees at the tub I am sure they would have buckled. 

Tony cut the cord and they placed her in my arms.  Tears began streaming down my face.  This was what it has all been about.  Every experience I have ever had was in preparation for this moment; the day I became someone’s dad.  Not just someone, but this perfect baby.  Tony came over and looked at both of us with tears running down his face and said “Baby we’re a family”. 

I think the only moment that comes CLOSE to when I first held her, is when I handed her to her Papa for the first time.  Seeing my husband and daughter together was something I had been waiting for. 

Megan is recovering well.  We are coming to the end of our transition period.  Tomorrow we will all go home.  As much as I am looking forward to having Zoey in our own home, I am going to miss Megan being in the very next room.  Thankfully we are all bound together now and I will see her all the time.  She has a huge part of my heart.

This is my life now.  I am a husband and a father.   I have a family and I cannot believe how blessed I am.   So when I hold my daughter at 4 a.m, after only minutes of sleep all night long, I am smiling.  I am smiling because THIS is what I have dreamt of and it is so much better than I ever could have imagined..

15 comments:

  1. So beautifully said....welcome to parenthood daddies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me in tears. What a beautiful birth story. I am sooo happy for you guys!! Lots of love coming from California to you and your new family! <3 Please keep blogging. You are an amazing blogger and I have enjoyed every second of following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for making me cry while I'm at work! Such a beautiful story!! Congrats again daddies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome, congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every single day you will be reminded of the awesome feeling of emotion that started with her birth. Celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm blubbering. such a heartfelt and well-written birth story. thanks for sharing...don't forget to post more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bawling over here!!! Love this so much, this is why surrogates do what they do, to be a part of this amazing feeling. To help create a family that's an awesome thing. I've loved following your journey and hope that we get to hear all about Zoey as she grows. Much love to you the three of you. Megan if you follow this blog, YOU ARE AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. I agree keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful birth story! So heart-warming and full of pure love and joy! It literally brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this. Congratulation again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so very much for your kindness, love, and suppport. I am so glad I found the blog community as we go through this journey!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww...*wiping away some serious tears* aawwwww

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO crying right now! My last (3rd) child of my own was a water birth at home and the most incredible experience of my life, especially after 2 hospital births. I'm crying as I remember that moment of him swimming into the world... and also as I imagine my IF's experience of watching their baby being born in a few months from now. I desperately wish a water birth were possible for my surro baby but sadly no hospitals "allow" it here and we have no birthing centers nearby. It will still be an experience I will never forget I'm sure.
    MANY congratulations to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm totally tearing up reading this. Many many happy years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well written my friend. I'm so happy for you both. That is the perfect birth experience. Relish in that great gift. :-) So so so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your beautiful little girl! Wonderfully written posts. Keep them coming... If you have time, that is!

    ReplyDelete