Sunday, May 27, 2012

Almost 6 months old...

My Dearest Zoey,

You are almost 6 months old, and every night I think to myself as I lay you down in your crib that it is impossible to love you more than I do right then.  Inevitably the next morning as I pull you into my arms I realize I do.  Every single day I love you more than I could have ever imagined.  My whole life has changed.  Tragic news stories about a missing child, or something terrible happening to a young woman grip my heart with terror.  Commercials about fathers and daughters bring me to tears.  I am aware of my surroundings with animal like instincts when you are with me.  Things I never paid attention to before I notice.  Your safety and well being is my major concern all the time.  And I love it. 

As you transition from a infant to a baby I am in constant amazement by you.  Every day you learn something new, you change, you grow.  And every day I am more and more proud of you.  You currently are going through a "stranger danger" phase, where you really only want to be held by your Papa or I.  Even when people you know are holding you one of us has to be close and in your sight for you to know you're safe.  Part of me cringes and wants the person holding you to have a good experience, but the other part is so overwhelmed and proud that Tony and I are your safe place.  That we are doing a good a job and that you know we will always give everything we have to keep you protected.

I am constantly emailing your pediatrician to ask about the plethora of things I have found on the internet about what I should be doing for, with, or to you to ensure that you are getting the best of everything.  I am incredibly grateful that we are fortunate enough that I can take this time to stay home with and take care of you.  Your Papa works so hard to make sure that we are all taken care of so amazingly.  I hope that you find a partner just like him some day.  That loves you and your family the way he loves and cares for us.  He really is incredible and the both of you are my entire heart.

I love you Zoey,

Daddy.

6 comments:

  1. Once again, you allow us to be a part of such a personal, heart warming moment. These letters make me cry every time. You're an amazing father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet post. Isn't parenthood incredible! Nice hearing from you today. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these letters, Mike...thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww your words are so precious and your love so strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...I knew as soon as I saw those words "My Dearest Zoey" that I should have brought the tissues close to me. Your letters are awesome.

    ReplyDelete